Medigap is also known as Medicare Supplement insurance. Medigap helps cover gaps in your coverage that Part A and Part B of Original Medicare do not cover. You need Medicare Part A and Part B to even consider supplemental coverage. If you’re interested in getting started, our agents are here to help you sort through your options.
What Does Medigap Cover?
A Medigap policy helps cover copayments, coinsurance and deductibles not covered by an Original Medicare policy, which includes Part A and Part B coverage. If you’re looking to get started with Medigap, consider the following:
- You must have Medicare Part A and Part B.
- A Medigap policy differs from a Medicare Advantage Plan, also known as Part C. Those plans are ways to get Medicare benefits. In contrast, a Medigap policy only supplements your Original Medicare benefits.
- You pay the private insurance company a monthly premium for your Medigap policy and the monthly Part B premium that you pay to Medicare.
- A Medigap policy only covers one person. If you and your spouse want Medigap coverage, you’ll have to buy separate policies.
- You can buy a Medigap policy from any insurance company in your state that is licensed to sell.
- Any standardized Medigap policy is guaranteed renewable even if you have health problems. The insurance company can’t cancel your Medigap policy if you pay the premium.
- Some Medigap policies sold in the past cover prescription drugs. But Medigap policies sold after January 1, 2006, aren’t allowed to include prescription drug coverage. You can join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D) if you want prescription drug coverage. You may need to make two separate premium payments if you buy Medigap and a Medicare drug plan from the same company. Contact the company to find out how to pay your premiums.
- It’s illegal for anyone to sell you a Medigap policy if you have a Medicare Advantage Plan—unless you’re switching to Original Medicare.
How to Get Medigap Coverage
Whether or not you will reap the benefits of Medigap is based on your unique needs. Contact Insurance Solutions Inc today for more information or to get started with coverage.